In this birthday year for Canada I thought I would share some Canadian resources for stitchers and textile artists. Since we are 6 days from opening here are 6 resources that I recommend.
1. BC's Lower Mainland staple fabric store Fabricana has a blog full of projects and helpful information for beginners and intermediate stitchers. In particular there is a "Fabric 101" section with some great posts to help you make informed choices for your textile projects. http://www.fabricana.com/blog-category/fabric-101
2. Tanis in Montreal, QC, blogs about dying, knitting, and yarns on her beautiful site Tanis Fibre Arts. Lots of gorgeous inspiration and great knitting patterns here, as well as beautiful yarns for sale. http://www.tanisfiberarts.com/blog/
3. Thread Theory Designs, a menswear sewing pattern company on Vancouver Island, BC, is a great place to find contemporary and stylish patterns for menswear. They also have a great blog. Check out this post about upcycling and visible mending https://threadtheoryblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/04/mend-dont-toss-visible-mending-up-cycling-and-fitting/
4. Speaking of patterns, Sewaholic Patterns is a Canadian pattern design company in Vancouver, BC. Their selection of patterns ranges from beginner-level to intermediate/advanced. Each pattern comes with clear, easy to follow instructions. You can order paper patterns to be delivered to you or purchase downloadable pdf versions to print yourself. http://www.sewaholicpatterns.com
5. For some visual inspiration follow Jessica Margaret Art on Instagram. Her work covers painting, illustration, and embroidery. Her style is bold and invites you to ask "what's the story?" https://www.instagram.com/jessica.margaret.art/
6. Get your Merino Big Stitch Yarn from Sarah Willey at Mama Knows Luxury. With a vision to support and encourage makers Sarah has a plethora of resources on her site for knitters and wool enthusiasts including video tutorials and a Preferred Makers Program. Find it all online at http://www.mamaknowsdesign.com
Photo by @coziknots (instagram), one of Mama's Preferred Makers.
What or who are your go-to resources for inspiration, tips, or projects to make? Write a comment below or send me a message. I would love to hear from you. Thank you.
Welcome to Stitched: a place where I share tips, resources, and reflections on the stitcher's life.